The Top 10 Best States to Visit in India
India is a land of diverse cultures, languages and regions. There is something for everyone here, from the snow-capped Himalayan summits to the golden sands of the Thar Desert. There are 28 state and 8 union territories in the nation, each of which has a distinct culture and tourist attractions. In this article, we explore the top 10 best states to visit in India.
Rajasthan, located in northwest India, is renowned for its royal forts, palaces, and vibrant culture. The state is also renowned for its colorful festivals, such as the Pushkar Camel Fair and the Jaipur Literature Festival.
Places to visit in Rajasthan
- Jaipur: Also known as the Pink City, it is the capital of Rajasthan and popular for its magnificent royal residences, forts and markets. Some of the must-visit places in Jaipur include the City Palace, Amber Fort, Hawa Mahal, and Jantar Mantar.
- Udaipur: It is known as the City of Lakes and is famous for its stunning palaces and scenic views. Some of the must-visit places in Udaipur include the City Palace, Lake Pichola, Jagdish Temple, and Saheliyon Ki Bari.
- Jaisalmer: It is known as the Golden City and is famous for its sand dunes, camel safaris, and impressive forts. Some of the must-visit places in Jaisalmer include the Jaisalmer Fort, Patwon Ki Haveli, Gadisar Lake, and the Sam Sand Dunes.
- Jodhpur: Also known as the Blue City, Jodhpur is famous for its blue colored houses, impressive forts and bustling markets. Some of the must-visit places in Jodhpur include Mehrangarh Fort, Jaswant Thada, Umaid Bhawan Palace, and the bustling Clock Tower market.
Kerala Known as “God’s Country,” Kerala is a tropical paradise in southern India. The country is known for its calm waters, lush greenery, and Ayurvedic treatment.
Places to visit in Kerala
- Munnar: Munnar is a hill station located in the Western Ghats and is famous for its tea plantations, misty hills, and picturesque landscapes. Some of the must-visit places in Munnar include the Tea Museum, Mattupetty Dam, and the Eravikulam National Park.
- Alleppey: Also known as Alappuzha, is famous for its serene backwaters, lush greenery, and houseboat rides. Some of the must-visit places in Alleppey include the Vembanad Lake, Alleppey Beach, and the Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary.
- Kochi: Also known as Cochin, is a port city famous for its rich history, culture and architecture. Some of the must-visit places in Kochi include the Fort Kochi Beach, Mattancherry Palace, St. Francis Church, and the Chinese Fishing Nets.
- Kovalam: It is a popular beach destination in Kerala and is famous for its crescent-shaped beaches, clear blue waters, and stunning sunsets. Some of the must-visit places in Kovalam include the Lighthouse Beach, Hawa Beach, and the Samudra Beach.
Goa, located on India’s west coast, is famed for its clean beaches, exciting nightlife, and Portuguese architecture. The state is also well-known for its seafood and seafood-related meals.
Places to visit in Goa
- Baga Beach: Known for its lively nightlife, it is a popular destination for partygoers. Visitors may enjoy water activities like jet skiing and parasailing during the day, while at night, the beach comes alive with music and dance.
- Calangute Beach: Is one of Goa’s most well-liked beaches and is ideal for swimming, tanning, and water sports. It’s a terrific area to unwind and take in the coastal breeze because there are several shacks, restaurants, and pubs around.
- Aguada Fort: Built in 1612, the fort is one of the most iconic landmarks in Goa. It offers a beautiful see of the Middle eastern Ocean and is a perfect area to witness a sunset.
4. Himachal Pradesh
Himachal Pradesh is Located in the north of India. It is known for its snow-capped mountains, apple orchards and recreational sports. India is also famous for its beautiful beauty and temples.
Places to visit in Himachal Pradesh
- Shimla: Is the capital of Himachal Pradesh and a popular tourist destination known for its colonial architecture, scenic views and pleasant climate. The Mall Road, Jakhu Temple, and Christ Church are some of the must-visit attractions in Shimla.
- Manali: Manali is a beautiful hill station located in the Kullu Valley and is famous for its scenic views, adventure activities, and vibrant culture. Visitors can go trekking, skiing, paragliding, and river rafting in Manali.
- Dharamshala: Dharamshala is a lovely station known for its picturesque excellence, dynamic culture, and otherworldly existence. Visitors can explore the Namgyal Monastery, the Kangra Fort, and the tea gardens in Dharamshala.
- Kullu: Kullu is a beautiful valley located in Himachal Pradesh and is famous for its scenic beauty, adventure activities, and vibrant culture. Visitors can explore the Kullu Shawl Factory, Raghunath Temple, and enjoy river rafting in Kullu.
5. Tamil Nadu
Tamil Nadu is Located in the south of India. It is known for its rich cultural heritage, temples and beaches. Tamil Nadu is also famous for its food like dosa, idli and sambar.
Places to visit in Tamil Nadu
- Chennai: Is the capital of Tamil Nadu. A bustling city known for its rich history, stunning architecture and delicious food. Visitors can explore Fort St. George, Kapaleeswarar Temple, and Marina Beach in Chennai.
- Mahabalipuram: Is a historical city located near Chennai and is famous for its ancient temples, rock carvings and magnificent beaches. The Shore Temple, Pancha Rathas, and Mahabalipuram Beach are some of the must-visit attractions in Mahabalipuram.
- Pondicherry: Also known as Puducherry, is a charming French-influenced town on the east coast of Tamil Nadu, famous for its colonial architecture, stunning beaches and spiritual atmosphere. Visitors can explore the Aurobindo Ashram, Promenade Beach, and Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Pondicherry.
- Madurai: Madurai is a historic city in southern Tamil Nadu. It is famous for its ancient temples, vibrant culture, and delicious food. Visitors can explore the Meenakshi Amman Temple, Thirumalai Nayakkar Mahal, and Gandhi Memorial Museum in Madurai.
Uttarakhand is a state located in the northern part of India, known for its natural beauty, religious significance, and adventure activities. The country is also famous for its wildlife and adventure sports.
Places to visit in Uttarakhand
- Rishikesh: Is situated on the banks of the Ganges River. It is a spiritual city. It is famous for its ancient temples, yoga and meditation centers, and adventure sports. Visitors can explore the Triveni Ghat, Parmarth Niketan, and Laxman Jhula in Rishikesh.
- Mussoorie: Is a beautiful hill station located in the foothills of the Himalayas and is famous for its natural beauty, pleasant weather and adventure activities. Visitors can explore the Kempty Falls, Gun Hill, and Lal Tibba in Mussoorie.
- Nainital: Nainital is a charming hill station located around a serene lake and is famous for its scenic beauty, boating, and adventure activities. Visitors can explore the Naini Lake, Naina Devi Temple, and Tiffin Top in Nainital.
Maharashtra Located in western India, Maharashtra is known for its bustling cities, beaches and historic buildings. The country is also famous for its food, such as vada pav and pav bhaji.
Places to visit in Maharashtra
- Mumbai: Is the capital of Maharashtra, Mumbai is a melting pot of cultures, traditions and lifestyles. The city is known for its iconic landmarks like the Gateway of India, Marine Drive, and the Taj Mahal Palace hotel. Other must-visit attractions include the Elephanta Caves, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, and the Crawford Market. Don’t forget to try the famous street food like vada pav, pav bhaji, and bhel puri.
- Pune: Pune is known as the cultural capital of Maharashtra. It is a town with a rich history and heritage. The city is home to several museums, art galleries, and historic landmarks like the Aga Khan Palace and the Shaniwar Wada. For nature lovers, a visit to the Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park and the Sinhagad Fort is a must. Pune is also known for its delectable food and vibrant nightlife.
8. West Bengal
West Bengal Located in the eastern part of India, West Bengal is known for its cultural heritage, literature and food. The country is also famous for its tea plantations and nature reserves.
Places to visit in West Bengal
- Kolkata: is the cultural capital of India. It is a must-visit destination in West Bengal. The city is known for its colonial architecture, bustling markets, and delicious street food. Take a stroll along the Hooghly River, visit the Victoria Memorial, or catch a show at the famous Rabindra Sadan theatre.
- Darjeeling: Located in the Himalayan foothills. Darjeeling is a picturesque hill station. That known for its tea plantations and scenic vistas. You can take a ride on the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. It’s known as the “Toy Train,” and enjoy the stunning views of the mountains and valleys.
- Sundarbans: Sundarbans is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is the largest Mangrove Forest in the world. Take a boat trip to explore the diverse flora and fauna, including the Royal Bengal Tiger, saltwater crocodile and various bird species.
- Bishnupur: Is a historical town located in the Bankura district of West Bengal. It is known for its terracotta temples, a unique blend of Mughal and Hindu architecture. The town is also famous for its silk sarees and handicrafts
Karnataka is located in south India. It is known for its rich history, temples and hill stations. The country is also famous for its food, such as masala dosa and bisi bele bath.
Places to visit in Karnataka
- Bangalore: Bangalore is also known as Bengaluru. It is the capital city of Karnataka. As known for its vibrant nightlife, beautiful parks, and pleasant weather. Some of the top tourist attractions in Bangalore include the Lalbagh Botanical Garden, Bangalore Palace, Cubbon Park, and the Vidhana Soudha
- Hampi: A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Hampi is known for its rich history and architectural beauty. That was once the capital of the Vijayanagara Realm. It is home to many ancient temples and monuments. Some of the top places to visit in Hampi include the Vittala Temple, Virupaksha Temple, Lotus Mahal, and the Hampi Bazaar.
- Mysore: Mysore is known as the City of Palaces. Mysore is a popular tourist destination in Karnataka. That is known for its rich cultural heritage, traditional handicrafts, and delicious cuisine. Some of the top places to visit in Mysore include the Mysore Palace, Chamundeshwari Temple, Brindavan Gardens, and the St. Philomena’s Church.
- Coorg: Coorg, also known as Kodagu, is a beautiful hill station located in Karnataka. The town is known for its coffee ranches, picturesque excellence, and wealthy social legacy. Some of the top tourist attractions in Coorg include Abbey Falls, Nisargadhama, Raja’s Seat, and the Namdroling Monastery.
Punjab is Located in the north of India. It is known for its rich history, cuisine and hospitality. The country is also famous for its colorful festivals and traditions.
Places to visit in Punjab
- Amritsar: Is a stunning and historical City situated in the northwest corner of the Indian state of Punjab. The City is the largest and most populous in the state and is renowned for its vibrant culture, religious importance, and tasty cuisine. The city is named after the sacred pool of Amrit Sarovar, which surrounds the world-famous Golden Temple. Also famous for Jallianwala Bagh and Wagah Border.
- Chandigarh: Is a Beautiful City located in northern India. That serves as the joint capital for two Indian states Punjab and Haryana. It is known for its well-planned infrastructure, greenery, and modern architecture.
- Patiala: This is situated in the north Indian state of Punjab, Patiala has a rich history, culture and traditions. It served as the capital of the princely state of Patiala, and is now a noted commercial and cultural center.
India is a large and varied nation with many more sites worth seeing. However, these 10 countries stand out for their unique landscapes, cultural heritage and natural beauty.
Before finalizing your trip to India, it is essential to conduct research on each country and its attractions. Also, keep in mind the best time to visit each country due to the varying weather.
In addition, To obtain a better understanding of the history and culture of each nation, it is also advised to hire a local guide or take a tour.
In conclusion, India is a treasure trove of sights, sounds and experiences waiting to be discovered. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, food, or adventure, there’s something for everyone in this amazing country.